Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Two Great Book Lists

Over at the amazing "Booknotes" blog by Byron Bolger of Hearts & Minds Bookstore, you'll find two important lists for every thinking Christian. Last week, it was the Top Ten Books on Christian Worldview. This week, it's Top Books on the Christian Mind.

My favorite on last week's list is Albert Wolters, Creation Regained, which is a readable and succinct defense of the Creation-Fall-Redemption paradigm for understanding culture and the role of the Christian in it. My favorite on the second list isn't on the second list, because Byron did not include my personal favorite on the topic, J.P. Moreland, Love Your God with All Your Mind (NavPress 1997). But I quibble. These lists ought to be the gold standard for evangelicals seeking guidance in faithful thinking about . . . . anything.

The only other book that may have been omitted is Mark Bertrand's forthcoming book Rethinking Worldview: Learning How to Think, Live and Speak in This World. But it's not out until October. I eagerly anticipate its arrival.

1 comment:

Byron K. Borger said...

Mike,

Wow, thanks for this kind discussion. We are grateful.

The Mark Bertrand book is going to be extraordinary. (His on-line piece in Comment this summer about novels was just amazing!) We will seriously promote it when it comes.

W. Andrew Hoffecker has edited a wordlviewish history of ideas volume that P&R is publishing later this fall, too. With endorsements by David Noebel and David Naugle, I think it will be very well respected, esp as a textbook.

Moreland. You know, I never really loved that book; for some reason it seemed to have this rationalistic feel that was just too cut and dry. I guess it may be because NavPress introduced it as their first book in what was to be a spiritual formation line, and I thought it might be a bit different, and they wrote me saying it was a worldview book, which, with it's evidentialism, struck me as revealing a worldview that was something different that a Kuyperian post-Enlightenment one.

But, as you say, I quibble. I'd love for students to read that one, and others that I didn't have space to list.

By the way, have you seen Moreland's newest? It is very good, linking the development of the Christian mind, the nurture of the soul, and the renewal of the spirit. It's the Talbot school meets Dallas Willard engaged in charismatic renewal. Extraordinary. I like!

Thanks again. Best wishes on the writing, your teaching, and the exciting new book.

Byron